Saturday, November 08, 2008

Doing our part for the economic recovery...

We've had an interesting summer. As the economy tanks, we've had a bunch of things happen that need fixing around the house. Consequently Laura and I are a two person economic recovery team.

  • Parts to overhaul the suspension and replace the brakes on the GTI: $1400
  • New Microwave oven: $300
  • New dishwasher: $700
  • Insulation in the attic: ???
  • Beer for my ride chauffeur: $20

Now we get to spend the day installing our new home items. I'm gonna have to take a day of leave to work on the GTI. I'm still waiting on some parts. Hopefully next Friday I can take the day off and get greasy. I've missed wrenching on cars. It'll be nice to pay back Sean for all the driving he's done going to bike rides. Honestly that's the only thing I really use the GTI for. I'll even play music that he won't hate on the stereo. That's how thankful that I am that he's been a help. I prolly owe him some beer too.

That won't help GM or Ford, but it is doing our part to help.

Pete

5 comments:

sean said...

Suddenly feeling very self conscious on my selection of XM Radio stations.

Your Name Here said...

Nah. I like your taste in music. Mine is horrible though. :D

fatbob29r said...

Holy crap! $1400 for brakes and susy parts? I say you turn the GTI into a rigid fixie and dump all that expensive fancy stuff.....









feel like changing the brakes on an A6 Avant?

Your Name Here said...

It is really the first work that I've had to do on the GTI in the last 5 years. I'm also replacing a lot of stuff that might not need it. Since the thing is going to be torn down, I might as well replace everything. It would suck to get it all perfect, then have to pull it apart again to change something that I'd not replaced.

You in town yet? We can do the brakes on your Avant together. You have a Bentley manual for it?

fatbob29r said...

Oi Pete,

Naw, not back in town... yet. I'm just replacing the pads, although it's probably not a bad idea to take the rotors in and have them machined. Although I love the Avant it's a $ pit when it needs fixing. Might trade it in for an Element if/when I move back.