Monday, June 04, 2007

Flattracking the Fixie.

Oy oy.

It was rainy and wet for the commute this morning and Dr. Einstein left the tire pressure set at 120psi for the ride in. DUMB MOVE! I didn't crash though. It was by the grace of god that I didn't though.

As always with an incident like this, there are many factors that contribute to the crash.

  1. It was wet and slick.
  2. This part of the trail has a groove parallel to the direction of travel and lots of paint on the pavement.
  3. There was this headphone-wearing pedestrian walking erratically that jumped 2' to the left when he finally heard my bell.

Fortunately I was taking it easy today and moving pretty slowly. I jumped to the left to miss this guy and my front wheel skidded a little. The back tire dropped into a groove that is about the same width as the tire. That sent the front end sliding a bit more. As my weight shifted, I instinctively clicked my right foot out to balance. The back wheel jumped to the left a little. I countersteered just a bit and somehow the tires got grip and I straightened back up. The left foot kept pedaling as though nothing had ever happened. I clipped my right foot in and went on.

I don't honestly know how I stayed up. It was sheer dumb luck.

I lived to ride another day. :D

Pete

No comments: