Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington: Introduction

6-time national cyclocross champion Tim Johnson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Johnson_(cyclist) )and the industry bicycle advocacy group Bikes Belong (www.bikesbelong.org) hatched an idea to raise awareness of cycling issues, funds for advocacy groups and a dramatic kick off for the National Bike Summit (http://www.bikeleague.org/conferences/summit11/index.php). Tim and a select group of people planned a cycling trip from Boston to Washington, DC… covering 9 states and close to 500 miles in 5 days. Each rider would be required to raise $1000 for Bikes Belong to take part in the ride. I signed up.

As it turned out, logistics kept me from getting myself and my bike to Boston for the start. I did make it to Philadelphia for the last 2 days of the ride. The first three days that I’d missed had been quite difficult. New England in early March is not always the greatest place and time to be cycling. Weather, ferry schedules and bridge construction definitely complicated the route for the first three days. You could see it in the faces of the 9 riders at the evening reception at Triumph Brewing Company (http://www.triumphbrewing.com/philadelphia/). They welcomed me to the group except for Richard, who wanted to steal the swag t-shirt that Bikes Belong had sent me because he thought I’d nicked it from someone. (Who is this guy and what’s he doing with a Bikes Belong shirt???)

I had confidence in my fitness for this ride, but I can imagine that a few question marks appeared in the minds of the other riders at that first meeting. I certainly did not resemble the body type or racing pedigree of any of the others on the ride. I was easily 8” taller and 40+ pounds heavier than any of the other guys.

The next morning would see how I fit with the group.

No comments: