Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Einstein goes for a mountain bike ride.

Any day that you ride is a good day. What a crock of shit! Just kidding. I really think that is true... riding is always better than not riding. Lets just say that some rides are better than others.

Yesterday was one of the others. It was a textbook example of what NOT to do when you go on a ride. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I wolfed down 2 PBJs before heading out on the trails. I washed them down with Extran hoping that would help my energy level. It did for the first 30 minutes, then I just wanted to take a nap. All the blood was rushing to my stomach to digest the PBJs and nothing was running to my legs or brain. (The last part is nothing new... My brain has been oxygen starved for years).

I also ignored my own advice. I ALWAYS set up my rides so that I get a warm-up, ride and then warm-down. That is how I ride the best. I didn't do that. JoeP was leading the monday night group and I went out with them. They had what I call a Baptism by fire warm-up. It was WAY too fast for what I needed... especially on a recovery day. I don't blame joe at all. His pace was perfect for all the other guys. I just had a bad combination of things going on that prevented me from riding the way I'd like to.

In addition to this, I lost my favorite glasses and fell on my butt while trying to go up a hill. I bonked hard and the ONLY thing that saved the end of my ride was hanging out with Brian, Mark and Rick and riding back in the pouring rain.

Einstein I am definitely not. I did manage to have fun and my bike is really clean now. I guess I can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks Joe for leading a fun ride. I did horribly at it, but I did manage to have fun in the end. I'll ride with you guys again when I have a chance to warm up before heading out. I'll do much better at keeping up at that point.

Take care,

Pete

No comments: