Friday, June 02, 2006

A Mucial Review

This is a rare musical review from me.  My friend John loaned me a CD that he's enjoyed for a few weeks now.  I'd like to start by saying that I'm seriously considering whether or not it is a good idea for me to continue the friendship with John.  
 
The CD is "Girl" by Tiny Tim and The Brave Combo.  Tiny Tim is the man that brought you the ever-popular "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".  His soulful ukulele playing redefines the instrument and brings it to the forefront of World Music. 
 
The CD starts out with its namesake, a cover of the Beatles song "Girl", performed in such a way as to set the tone for the rest of the CD.  The best way I can describe this song is to say that it would make a good pedophyle's anthem. 
 
"Bye Bye Blackbird" is delivered in a way that accentuates Mr. Tim's world famous falsetto.  The jazzy arrangement is actually really good.  The Brave Combo definitely is brave indeed to perform this song with Tiny Tim.  Don't get me wrong, this song actually starts out really great.  I enjoyed the singing part.  The problem comes with about 40 seconds left to go in the song.  Mr. Tim finishes off the song by talking to the "black bird".  That pretty much sucks the soul out of the song.  It is almost painful to listen to.  
 
You get a nice opportunity to recover for the next three tracks.  "That Old Feeling", "Sly Cigarette" and "I Want To Stay Here" are enjoyable and actually kinda catchy.
 
That respite is short lived because "New York, New York" is track #6.  Oh lord, my ears are bleeding.  "Stairway to Heaven" had me falling out of my chair laughing.   The jazz combo arrangement was actually kinda cool, but Tiny Tim's singing sinks this ship in a Titanic fashion.  This song is definitely the "ice berg, dead ahead"! 
 
"All I Want Is You", "Stardust" and I Believe In Tomorrow" gave me a chance to get back in my chair and enjoy listening to some quirky and left of center music. 
 
That's when all hell breaks lose.  "Hey Jude" sarts with Tiny Tim having a psychotic episode introduction that someone accidentally recorded.  The main part of the song is done to a cha-cha beat.  Oddly enough that kinda works. 
 
I was completely on the floor again (in convulsions this time) when "Hey Jude" transitioned into "Over the Rainbow".  Uhhmmmm...  I can't honestly say what that song was like because I lost consciousness about 10 bars into the song.  Luckily my friend Paul had been monitoring my vital signs during this listening experiment.  He somehow managed to remove my headphones without unplugging them.  Unplugging the headphones would have spelled the end of anyone within earshot. 
 
I honestly can't tell you what the rest of the CD is like.  I can't make it past "Over the Rainbow" without going catatonic.  I've tried 4 times now.  I'm not entirely sure why. 
 
To be completely honest, I have to say that I really enjoyed this CD.  I didn't enjoy it for a quality listening experience.  I laughed a lot and found a few songs that were actually fun to listen to in a quirky, offbeat kinda way. 
 
Thanks for reading.  The CD again is "Girl" by Tiny Tim and the Brave Combo. 
 
Pete
 

No comments: