Friday, January 05, 2007

Finally a good run.

I'll keep this short. After over 3 weeks off my workout regimen due to injury, I finally got a good run in last night. It wasn't long. It wasn't fast. It was, however, 100% pain-free.

I took it slow and easy and made sure that I stretched well before going out and I used good form while running. It is easy to fall into the trap of shuffling along and not lifting your knees when you're trying to run slowly on a recovery run. That can start bad habits which lead to injuries.

I can't tell you what a relief it was to complete a whole loop after coming up lame the last three times I tried.

We'll try it again today. :D

Pete

2 comments:

f5000sl said...

I've recently decided to run myself. LOL!

I felt great towards the end and wanted to head out for more, but the advice was go out lightly. So I headed home.

My first effort found me going about 3.5-4 mls of a walk/run. I did about a 30/70 split.

Jesus though, did that hurt by days end. My hip flexors where like screw you.

A few days taking it easy I was fine again. So I went out for runs two and three, but each one drew out a bad pain in my calves.

So bad that walking hurt. After a while I noticed that I was using too much ball of my foot for the impact zone and not enough heal.

I've done a few shorties since in a modified style, and it's helped, but I feel like I look like an ass running now, so I just might stick with the bike.

Your Name Here said...

Hey Jay

Great to hear from you. Running is definitely something that should be started gradually. It uses your muscles and lungs in a very different way than cycling does. I did a lot of long distance running in the 70s and 80s and really enjoyed it. I've needed a break from cycling for a lot of reasons.

Just like cycling, form is everything with running. If you flail around like a mad man on your mountain bike, you're not going to be happy with how the ride goes... either physically or technically.

I had to slow down my pace significantly because of the problems with my achiles. That caused me trouble because when I slowed down, I tended to shuffle more than run. I wasn't lifting my knees and using good form. That caused other problems. Now that I'm more conscious of that, my runs are GREAT!

I'm not going fast at all. I'm somewhere between an 8 an 9 minute mile.... sometimes slower. I'm able to do good distance though. I've had two runs this week of over an hour in duration. That's the kind of workout that I'm looking for.

Enjoy. I'll be back on the bike in the spring and I'll catch up with you guys then.

Pete