Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Spa Sport Leg Warmers Review

Good morning.

This review will hopefully be less sarcastic than the review for my new camera that I did yesterday.

Cold weather cycling necessitates the adding of layers. There are always a few items of clothing that can be added to a cycling ensemble to make it a hair warmer than it otherwise would be. Arm warmers make a short sleeve jersey into a long sleeve one with the option of removing them once you warm up.
Leg warmers provide much of the same functionality, though I haven't ever done a ride where I actually remove leg warmers once they're on. The added benefit of leg warmers is that they give me a place to hide my energy gel packets so that they're easy to access during a ride.
My anceint Sugoi leg warmers are finally ready for retirement. They're pilled enough that they aren't as comfy as they once were and the zippers are really on their way out.
I'd seen ads in VeloNews for SpaSport.com... a NY company selling cycling clothing and accessories (gloves, hats, arm and leg warmers, etc.) for a while. Their prices looked great, so I thought I'd give them a try.
I'm 6'4" and have a 92.5cm inseam and the size Large looked like they should come close to fitting. The ebay store price is $29.99. With shipping it came out to about $34.
Service was amazing. I ordered late on Saturday afternoon. They were in my mailbox Monday when I got home from work. You don't get much better shipping than that!!!.
On first look, the leg warmers were awesome. They are advertised as fleece leg warmers and there really isn't much loft to them. They're basically a very thick lycra... not unlike most of the leg warmers on the market in that price range. They're made in Pakistan and the severything seemed to be really good quality.
They had a really funky smell. It was a combination of the chemicals used in production of the materials and silk screening of logo mied with a fair amount of cigarette smoke. I popped them in the washing machine and sent them through a double cycle to make sure they were really clean. The smell came out immediately and there is no remnant of it.
I put them on this morning for my ride to work and they are great. They're a hair warmer and much more comfortable than my ratty old Sugois. The fit is perfect and the grippers at the top functioned exactly like they should.
This inspires me to try some of their other products. Their cycling jackets look like they might be a great value.
In the end I saved about $8 or 9 by purchasing these over buying Sugoi or Pearl Izumi leg warmers. These will not be mistaken for the $70 Assos leg warmers, but they work well and seem like they'll hold up pretty well.

Spa Sport's ebay store can be found at www.spasport.com.

Pete

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very informative review. I like it. discount sports tickets