Monday, October 31, 2005

Saved by an idiot: Part 1, The Enlightening.

It has been almost two weeks since I had this experience.  I just haven't had the time or mood to write. 
 
It is really hard to keep either of my two cars at or under the speed limit.  I tend to go with the flow and maybe work my way through traffic by going a little faster than the general flow.  I don't zip around like a loonie most of the time.  Using this technique has managed to keep me from getting a single speeding ticket in the last 7 or 8 years.  Driving something as audibly loud as the Corrado or visibly loud as the GTI, that is a small wonder.
 
I honestly thought that the instance I'm about to describe was the end of this small wonder. 
 
I was driving East on I-66 on my way back to DC from Front Royal, Virginia.  It was an area that is rarely patrolled by police officers and everyone is driving at least 80mph.  As usual, I'm going along with the flow... not much faster.  Some people slow down, so I accellerate a little and pull around them.  That's when I see WHY they slowed down.  There was a cop right there with his radar gun hanging out the window.  He was behind a bridge abuttment and was zapping people from behind.  I saw him flip the lights on and pull out into traffic.  I slowed down and moved to the right lane... I knew I was nabbed.  I was probably doing 82 or 83 in a 65 mph zone.  It wasn't THAT bad, because everyone else was doing 80, but it wasn't good either. 
 
Something truly amazing happend.  As I'm slowing down, getting myself mentally ready for a HUGE ticket and all the joy that comes with it, a guy in a BMW gets impatient with everyone slowing down, downshifts and floors it.  He zips across 2 lanes of traffic onto the left side shoulder and passes us all between traffic and the jersey wall doing at least 90.  His timing couldn't have been more perfect.  The cop took one look at him and completely forgot about me. :D
 
I kept it below 75mph the rest of the way home. I considered myself damn lucky that I didn't get nailed. 
 
As the subject implies... there is more to come in this saga. 
 
Tune in later.
 
Pete
 
 

2 comments:

aL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aL said...

Let me try this again. I read a few days ago that people pulled over in Florida for DUI's can now contest the verdict by asking for the source code of the analyzer. Not entirely speed related but interesting still. Here is the link