Monday, October 31, 2005

Saved by an idiot: Part III, The Reformation

I thought I was a changed man.  Having two instances in two weeks where the only things between me and really nasty speeding ticket were two drivers whose transgressions and timing were much worse than mine. 
 
This morning on the way into the office, I'm just going with the flow of traffic.  I'm doing around 55mph -- the same speed as everyone else.  I'm about 3rd or 4th in a line of cars and I'm not tailgating.  There are folks all around me and we're all just making our way to work. 
 
A stop light splits our group in two.  I'm the first in the line to not make the light.  I'm sitting there minding my own business when it dawns on me that this is a golden opportunity to enjoy the wonders of boost.  It is in the low 40s outside.  That is perfect for performance cars because they like the cold, dense air.  This is especially true for cars with turbos.  The light turns green and I accelerate away.  I didn't squeak the tires, but I did move away from the light rather quickly.  I shift into second and chirp the wheels a little.  I let off not long after because I'm approaching 55mph.  I shift form 2nd to 5th and just tool along in the low 50s.  I'm out in front of everyone by 100 meters or so, but I'm not speeding like a madman or anthing.  Officer Bob doesn't really see it that way though.  He pulls out from his hiding place in the trees on the frontage road and begins to accelerate. 
 
Now I'm not really sure that he's after me or anything, but after two instances, I'm assuming he is.  I really didn't do anything illegal except for speeding.  If he clocked me, he might have gotten me at 52 or 53, but I don't think it would have been anything more.  It isn't great that I accelerated hard away form the light, but as long as I didn't swerve or smoke the tires or anything and there was no-one in the lane next to me doing the same thing, I can't see that I've done anything extremely criminal.
 
I back it down to 45 and move to the right lane in case he wants to nab me.  I'm not really pulling to the side like I was getting ready to in Parts I and II -- I'm just being law abiding and making it easy for him to pull me over if he wants to.  Basically I'm behaving like I'm guilty. ;)
 
That's when my third miracle of the month happens.  Some chick in a minivan doesn't realize that the guy that just pulled out in front of her is a cop.  He didn't pull RIGHT out in front of her, but she probably had to have her day inconvenienced a bit by having to take her foot off the stupid pedal in order to tap the brakes.  She then proceeds to flash her lights on and off and honk her horn long and loud.  She accelerates onto the cop's back bumper and flashes her lights... tailgating him --- still leaning on her horn in a long, continuous blast.  That's when the lights came on.  All I saw was her and the cop getting smaller in my rear view mirror as I tool off down Rt. 50 on my way to work -- Saved by an idiot again.
 
Kinda makes you wonder what tomorrow's drive is going to be like, Eh?  ;)
 
Pete
 

4 comments:

kob said...

I loved this posts -- your luck is running high. Buy some Powerball Tickets. You're hot.

Your Name Here said...

Good idea, kob. I'm heading over to get my tickets this morning.

Graham: Great story. I've got so many weird ways that I've gotten out of tickets... none of them are an advisable strategy. They just seem to work out in my favor... sort of.

As a side note, I didn't go more than 5mph over the speed limit on my way to the office this morning. No reason to tempt fate before I win Lotto (Knocking on wood). ;)

Pete

lordscarlet said...

Here's my story:

This is really rather short. I'm driving down the main road by Manassas Mall (the name escapes me) and I blow right through a red light. As I enter the intersection I see a cop sitting in the median waiting for someone to run it. I figure I'm screwed. As he flips his lights on and I head to the right lane in defeat, I see that the guy behind me went through the light as well.

Your Name Here said...

Bwahahahahaha.. I had something like that happen to me many many years ago. I was driving through Buena Vista, Colorado. At the time it was pretty much a 1 stoplight town. I blew through the stoplight... totally brain farted. The local deputy was so excited that some nut blew through the one stoplight that he sideswiped the guy who was right behind me who also blew through the stop light.

Pete