Thursday, November 17, 2005

Piratesexuals....

Three things happened this week that inspired me to coin a new term.  From the subject of this post, you can imagine what that term is.  I'd like to talk about the inspiration first, because it would be completely against my ethos to get directly to the point that I want to make. ;)
 
First:  A friend who reads my blog knows my afinity for all things piratey.  He sent me THIS link to a local bike sale.  Well that started a few interesting discussions at work.
 
Second:  Some people in the office were teasing the guy in the cube across from me about being the ultimate metrosexual.  (From Wikipedia: Metrosexual is a term coined in 1994 (along with the noun, metrosexuality) by British journalist Mark Simpson, who used it to refer to an urban male of any sexual orientation who has a strong aesthetic sense and spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.)
 
Third (and probably most importantly):  I STILL haven't recovered from this year's "Talk like a pirate day". 
 
That's when I figured it out...   I'm a piratesexual.  It is a term used to refer to an urban dweller of any sexual orientation who has a strong aesthetic for all things piratey and the vocabulary to go along with it.  Since I don't often actually dress like a pirate, I guess I'm a closet piratesexual. 
 
This probably isn't an earth shattering realization for me or anyone who knows me.  It is, however, the first step for me to embrace my piratesexuality.  What's next?  I need to get a parrot and an eyepatch.  (Insert rude and disgusting peg leg comments here -- I know you're thinking them!) ;) Maybe Mike will loan me one of his birds for a photo shoot.  ;)
 
I guess that's it.  I'll explore my piratesexuality in the years to come and see what comes of it. 
 
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I'm off to swab the poop deck.
 
Pete
 
 

No comments: