Saturday, January 12, 2008

Smithereens at the State Theatre

Every year the band The Smithereens play the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA... about 10 minutes from our house. I've been saying that we should go see them for the last 5 years. Tonight we did. OH MY GOD were they great.

We prepared for the show pretty well. We listened to their first three CDs as well as their Beatles tribute CD all afternoon. Last night we watched "A Hard Day's Night" on DVD, which got us in a musical mood.

All the old songs that we love were performed perfectly. They did 4 songs from their Beatles tribute CD. They played "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who and even gave "Sweet Home Alabama" a try.

After 28 years together, they still obviously enjoy performing. They were having as much fun as we were.

The State Theatre is an awesome music venue. The 1940s movie theater was converted to a music hall in the late 90s. The accoustics are great. You can reserve a table and have dinner and drinks before the show if you like.

By far the best place to be is the floor right in front of the stage. We arrived at 8:30 for a 9pm show, walked down and were 10 feet from the front of the stage. They started a little late, but played for 2 hours straight.

After the show we stood around out front for about 10 minutes. The band walked out and we got to shake hands with them and talk for a few minutes before they headed off to sign autographs.

What an amazing night.

I can't wait till the come back next year.

Pete

5 comments:

JTP said...

Now talk about weird! I don't even know what made me think of them, but I had Smithereens on the brain tonight... Ended up nabbing a few songs from Green Thoughts and 11. I had almost forgotten how AWESOME they were. Sorta pisses me off that the ex took those discs with her...

JTP said...

Oh, forgot to ask... Could you give me a heads-up on the concert next year? It would be WELL worth the drive...

Your Name Here said...

No offense intended, but I'm barely able to remember how to spell my own name, much less remember to notify someone about a concert a year from now.

I'll do my best. :D Add a reminder to your ToDo list to bug me about it in mid December.

Pete

JTP said...

OK...

Reminder... Mid December 2008, remind him that it is spelled "P" "E" "T" "E"...

:p

No offense taken... ;-) Got caught up in the moment, didn't think about what I was asking...

BTW, did the interview with Bret at lunch today, probably nothing you should go out of your way to hear, just thought it was kinda cool.

Your Name Here said...

It is cool. There isn't a way that I can tune in anyways. Work is such that I don't get much freedom of listening beyond my I-tunes list these days.

I'll catch up with you soon... next January if not sooner. ;)

Pete