Thursday, May 26, 2005

I like/hate the new Dave Matthews Band CD

Lets get Retarded!!!

Just kidding. I like that song, but that isn't what I'm talking about. As a white male in America, I'm supposed to like the Dave Matthews band. At least that is what the television told me. Normally that makes me want to run home to my security blanket music... you know... those soothing little ditties by the Sex Pistols, old Clash, Offspring, and Manfred Mann and the Earth Band. (Just kidding about the Manfred Mann thing).

I decided to do something a little different this time. I went out to Itunes and purchased the new Dave Matthews CD. I just listened to it for the first time and I really hated/liked it. I'm not sure which one yet, actually. It wasn't bad enough to make me shut it off, but it didn't have me rocking out all over my cube (probably a good thing for those that I work with). I get the feeling that I'll like it after listening to it a few times. I'm like that with some music. It has to grow on me.

I think REM is like that for me too. Back in the 1980s I bought an REM cd because I thought it would make me look cool and sensitive and attractive to this girl I had the hots for. The first time I listened to it, I HATED it! I don't mean that I mildly, kind-of hated it. I really despised it. I really had the hots for this girl though. Her name was Kim and she liked my motorcycle. So I listened to it again. It wasn't so bad. The third time I listened to it, I kinda liked it. Now it is one of my favorite CDs of all time.

Okay, as long as I'm jumping around with things, that kind of "I'm gonna listen to this so that some chick thinks I'm cool" thing NEVER really works. Never ever ever... except the above mentioned time with Kim. I think the motorcycle helped. Somehow finding a guy that "liked" the same music that she did and had a motorcycle did it for her. I guess that should have been a warning sign for me. We had fun for about three weeks, we both got bored, then went on to other things and people.

It does go down in history as the only time that I've ever had one of those hokey "guy trying to impress a girl" thing worked though... for me at least.

Uhhmmmm Dave Matthews.. I was talking about the Dave Matthews Band, right? Uhhmmm.. I'm guessing that my wife is gonna think I'm cool because I'm listening to this CD and maybe I'll get lucky this weekend. Yeah... I still like to call it getting lucky.

Lets get Stoooooooooopid!!! Yup. I'm back on that song again.

Pete

No comments: