Wednesday, September 28, 2005

An interesting and sad story....

Oy oy.
 
I was reading VW Vortex last night and found something funny and sad.  VW of Germany brought over two 2006 VW GTIs to American to tour as demo cars for the much anticipated release of the MkV GTI in America.   This is going to be a dang cool car.  2.0L turbo with direct port injection and a pretty tight 6 speed or paddle shifted auto. 
 
Both of the vehicles were right hand drive cars.  As far as I know, they are the only ones available right now. 
 
VW Springfield (my second least favorite car dealership in the entire world) was to play host to these vehicles for a week or so in order to show them off and maybe have some people drive them. 
 
The 6-speed met its death at the hands of one of the sales managers at VW Springfield.  He wasn't used to driving a right hand drive car and rather than driving it mellow until he was used to it, he decided to put it through its paces. 
 
BIG MISTAKE!!
 
When shifing up through the gears, he was at red line in second gear and shifted into 1st instead of 3rd.  Valves met pistons and hyjinks insued.  I can only imagine the amount of mangled engine parts that were spit out the bottom of that car.  I can only imagine the conversation between the sales guy and his boss.... and the guys from Germany who brought the car over. 
 
See y'all later.
 
PEte
 
 
 

2 comments:

DT said...

Damnit! Those guys over there really are idiots.

Your Name Here said...

Driving a RHD car is difficult. I missed a few shifts the first 10 times I drove one. I'm an idiot about a lot of things, but I'm smart enough to know that I shouldn't be power shifting at redline while getting used to shifting with my left hand... especially in my boss's, boss's, boss's, boss's, boss's car. ;)

Pete