Thursday, September 22, 2005

Time to play bumper cars!!! or not... ;)

Last night was the most fun I've ever had giving myself a major headache and bashing my knuckles.  Not really... I had plenty of fun, but it wasn't that much of a pain. 
 
I finally got to installing the bumper last night.  It wasn't anything like I expected.  The fiberglass bumper stands out 1-2 inches from the rebar.  I thought I'd be able to slather the rebar with Gorilla glue and slap the bumper on.  No such luck! 
 
I ended up fabricating brackets that allowed the bumper to slide in on the side, bolt to the fender liners and bolt to the base of the rebar.  The good thing is that all of these brackets and bots are (for the most part) out of the line of sight. 
 
This is a test fit for right now.  The brackets that I fabricated are not particularly pretty.  I concentrated more on getting the bumper on than on making them nice, smooth, sculpted works of art (Not that anything I do is a work of art).  Tonight before the wakefield ride, I'm going to take the bumper off, shape the brackets with the dremmel, paint them black (and probably the bumper too) then put it all back together again.  It'll be a bit of a rush to get all that done, but I think I've got my routine down well enough that it should go pretty well. 
 
I'll post photos of it then.  It looks like I'll have the bumper done for the euro meet this weekend.  I was hoping to have the car done for H20 in Ocean City.  That will have to wait a year. 
 
If all goes well tomorrow, Friday night I can get back to prepping the main body of the car.  I need to schedule a time that I can get the headliner done.  Maybe that will be the next weekend.  My friend David runs a business doing headliners.  He said he'd do mine for the cost of matterials if I'd pull it out and put it back in.  That is a pretty big deal since there is that freaky sunroof panel to cover.  I wish I had the money for a glass moon roof at this point.  I don't. 
 
I have a bad feeling that my power steering pump is going.  I'm getting belt squeel when I'm turning while going slow.  That means there is some serious resistance on that belt.  I'd rather not spend $250 on a new PS pump.  While I'm down there, I might as well replace the oil pump too. 
 
Sorry to be so mundane.  I promise to be more interesting tomorrow. 
 
Pete

No comments: