Sunday, September 18, 2005

Tomorrow should be a national holiday...

Greetings folks. 
 
I'm sure you are aware that my sense of humor is sometimes a bit odd.  I'm not sure if you are aware of my favorite day of the year.  Tomorrow is the official Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I think we all need to make an effort to live up to the true spirit of this day.  Think of the levity you'll bring to all who you encounter during this otherwise-normal monday. 
 
If you're at a loss for how to best incorporate the vocabulary and mannerisms of a pirate into your daily life, I've included a helpful guide to make things easier for you.  Click HERE for the basic guide to talking like a Pirate. 
 
Here is a sample for your enjoymnent. 
 

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

 
Sounds fun, eh?  I'm going to be interested to see how things go at work tomorrow. 
 
I'd be interested to hear about how your days go. :)
 
Best wishes,
 
Pete
 
 
 

No comments: