Friday, September 23, 2005

Yesterday's Corrado progress -- AKA Work like the wind!

SHUT UP WITH THE CAR STUFF ALREADY!  I thought you were a mountain bike guy! 
 
It is a good sign when you talk to yourself in your own blog.  Since I'm the main person that reads this, I guess that could be said about most of my posts. ;)
 
Anywhoo.  I did get a few photos up of the work that I did Wednesday.  You can click HERE and HERE to see what things looked like yesterday morning. 
 
Last night was going to be a short session.  I had a lot of work to get done and I just resolved myself to the fact that I was going to get started and then leave the car in pieces in order to make it to Wakefield in time to ride. 
 
NOT SO!
 
I was a freaking machine last night.  I stopped at Home Depot*** and picked up the sheet metal screws that I needed and was home before 4pm.  That gave me almost 2 hours to work.  I had the heat lamps set up the night before because I was out working after dark.  I backed the car way up so I wouldn't get any overspray on it, then sanded, cleaned and painted the bumper.  I turned on the heat lamps and baked it.  I stopped once during the other repair processes to put another coat of paint on.  
 
I had a tiny leak in the power steering system.  The belt was making all kinds of noises too.  Upon close inspection, it looks like there was a leak where the high pressure hose meets the pump.  I removed the hose, replaced the gasket, then put it back together again.  I adjusted the accessory belt thanks to Doug at the Corrado Club of Canada web site.  (Sorry about all the Canadian jokes that they put on South Park.  I feel guilty that I laughed at most of them after you guys did a great Corrado web site)  I added some fluid and cycled it through a few times.  I added more fluid once the bubbles had worked their way out. 
 
Anywho... My steering issues are GONE!  The power steering is great and quiet too.  I did notice that I've got a small oil leak from the oil pan.  I guess it is time for that finned aluminum oil pan with windage tray like the one Les put on his Corrado.  (Deep down inside I really want to be Les Noriel when I grow up). 
 
I checked the bumper and it was dry enough to install.  I made sure that I was wearing gloves.  I got the bumper back on, bolted it in place, shot the new hardware with a squirt of black paint so it doesn't stand out as much and then drove the car up in front of the heat lamps.  I left the car parked there while I went to Wakefield for a ride.
 
I arrived at Wakefield with 6 minutes to spare.  I behaved like an ass (as usual) and annoyed Craig (Something I try hard to do, but usually don't succeed at).  I tried like hell to ride.  Craig was extra cool and took the fast group.  Chris, Kathy and Janie and I went for a casual stroll around Wakefield.  We did between 4 and 5 miles.  I was just freaking dead.  I've been working on the car so much that I've only been getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night.  That doesn't make for a fast or lively ride.  I called it quits early and headed home. 
 
Laura wasn't home yet so I put a dab of caulk along the seams where the side skirts meet the body.  It just smooths out the lines a little.  I'll need to sand that a bit before paint, but it should look good when it is done. 
 
Finally I went to bed at a decent hour.  I talked to Laura for a few, drank the last beer in the house and went to bed by 10pm. 
 
*** My Home Depot Rant.  The Home Depot at 7 corners is HORRIBLE.  Nothing is where it should be and their stock is quite erratic.  You never know if something will be in stock.  I shopped there earlier in the week and had to go to the one in Merrifield because they didn't have half of what I wanted.  Grrrrrrrr.  No more Sniper Home Depot for me.
 
Oh well.  I've babbled way too long.  I guess I've had too much caffeine this morning. ;)
 
See you tomorrow.  You'll like the pics of the bumper when it is fully painted.
 
Pete
 

No comments: