Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Too Many Car Projects...

It is really funny, but when I take the car apart a little, I always find a ton of things to do as I'm putting it back together. What's worse is that since I haven't been working on the Corrado for a few years, I've managed to collect all the parts and tools that I need for these projects.

Here are a few examples. To properly install the new side skirts, I need to take the wheels off. While I've got the car jacked up, I might as well get rid of the undercoating that I HATE so much in the wheel wells. The brake calipers are clean, but they could look better. I've got caliper paint for those. I might as well get to work on that too. There's that dent that someone put at the bottom of the car where they jacked it up incorrectly. That should be pulled out. I might as well change the oil and tranny fluid while I'm down here.

As long as I have the rear bumper off, I might as well pull the tail lights so it is easy to sand out the few spots that need it. As long as the lights are off, they might as well get wet sanded, buffed and smoked. Since I've got them out, I might as well put the new bulbs in them that look cool as well as shine brighter. I've always wanted to do the euro-fog mod on the Corrado too.

I've got to take the front bumper off in order to put the new one on. Those fog lights should be replaced. I noticed the motor mounts could use a freshinging up. Since the front motor mount has to be changed, I might as well put in the new frame crossmember with delrin bushings. That will up the vibration inside a little, but will really get the power down to the road. It seems silly to change the front motor mount without getting the rear mount and tranny mount at the same time. Might as well have all three done.

Pretty much every project that I'm doing on the Corrado is like this. Being this thorough definitely makes the car run nicely. It also tends to make all these projects last for ever. I'm going to try to take a break from these huge projects to get the car back together so I can drive it around for a few days.

I'll jack it back up again on Saturday.

Pete

2 comments:

Tom said...

So thats what you've been doing.
The time flies while your working a car. I used to be in the garage until midnite and not evan realize it.

Mine was a burned out 72 Mustang. I bought a junked up '73 just for the wiring harness and extra engine parts. Worked on that SOB for 1-1/2 years. I think the actual working on it was the fun part. After I got phase I done and got her on the road I got disillusioned with the project. I don't think I put more than 300 miles on her and she's been sitting in my yard for the past 10 years.

Tommy

Your Name Here said...

Great car project Tommy. I've often wanted to do something like an old mustang. The timing just never works out for me. It doesn't help that I get VW projects dumped in my lap for free at times.

I've been balancing riding and working on the car. I've just hit a point in the last week or two that require me to push a bit harder on the car stuff so that I can get this done and get it back on the road. I'm psyched to get it painted.

I'll be back on the trails soon.... tonight in fact. :D

Take care!

Pete