Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly... Part 69.

You know when I use this subject that I’m gonna talk about a bike ride.  It was a weird one too.  We’d set up for riding EF today.  My goal was 2 laps.  It didn’t quite happen as I envisioned. 

 

The Good:  The ride up the doubletrack was awesome.  My goal was to peg the heart rate and keep it there.  I kept it in zone 5 pretty much all the way up.   This was the first time in over 2 years that I’d ridden EF with gears and a suspension fork.  I wanted to ride a bunch of the hike-a-bike section…. Even if I had to rest up between riding stints.  That went great!  I rode more of the Hike-a-bike than I think I ever have.  It was definitely more riding than walking by a long shot.  I wasn’t fast at all.  Guys who walked most of it got to the top before me.  That’s cool.  I just stayed loose and rode the rocks.  It was a blast.  The new bike LOVES the rough stuff.  The downhill from the ridge was fantastic.  I pinch flatted on a square edge rock, but that was because I was pushing it pretty hard. 

 

The Bad:  I’m cursed.  It seems like every time I post up a ride, I always get someone coming along that probably should be on a more casual ride.  Today there were two guys who joined in that I think probably shouldn’t have been with this group.  They told us at the top of the first climb that we should leave them to find their way back.  NOPE.  Not gonna happen.  Instead of doing 2 laps, we did one lap in the time it would have taken us to do two.  The guys were great.  They really impressed me with how well they did.  There were much better places for them to have practiced their skills.  Oh well.  There’s always next week…  or not. 

 

The Ugly:  The calorie burn for me was really ugly.  How the hell do you do an EF ride… especially one where you ride most of the hike a bike and hammer the doubletrack climb and burn FEWER than 700 calories?  GRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr.  Almost no time was spent in zones 3 and 4.  I was in zone 1 or 2 for most of the ride and in zone 5 for the first climb.  I guess that answers my question.  I burn more calories than that at Wakefield

 

Oh well.  It was fun.  Technically it was an AWESOME ride!  The bad parts were not really that bad.  It was a cool bunch to ride with. I just didn’t get to ride as much as I would have liked to.

 

Take care. 

 

Pete

3 comments:

Tom said...

Your problem is you've gotten a reputation as a "nice" guy who won't leave anyone behind.

If you like I'll post up on MORE, MTBR, and Richmond MORE how you tried to kill me my first time at EF and left me to die on my own on that god forsaken mountain.

Have a wonderful day, you bastard.

Your Name Here said...

I'm doing my best to get rid of that reputation. I'm not having too much luck.

MORE, Cycling Central VA and MTBR have already heard that story. They're the ones that payed me to leave you for dead. You just lucked out that the pack of wolves that I had released in the area headed south instead of north. ;)

Pete

Tom said...

Hmmm?

I thought it was my wife?