Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I wanna be fast when I grow up. ;)

Greetings earthlings. 
 
Last night started my quest to get a little more speed in my mountain bike riding.  For the last year or two, my endurance has been good and steadily getting better.  My speed has gone up a little... I guess that comes with endurance.  I'd love to get faster though.  The only way to do that is to find some folks that are faster than you, and chase after them.  With mountain bikes, that means that you're doing some pretty serious interval training. 
 
Last night I got my ass handed to me.  It was the Tuesday night ride and there were plenty of people out.  I picked a group that I thought would be on the fast side of moderate.  They were making noises about keeping it in Zone 3 for fat burning.  If that was their zone three fat burning ride, I'd hate to see their speed workouts!!!  I had a blast holding on for dear life.  I did pretty well for the first 9 miles... I only really dropped back on the steep climb.  Between miles 9 and 14 I dropped back a bit more. They were kind enough to wait for me even though I urged them not to.  I'm glad they did.  All the running this winter seems to have paid off nicely.  My recovery times were remarkably quick.  I was ready to go in less than 30 seconds after catching them.  I may have to keep a running workout in my regimen over the summer just for fun.
 
Sorry to be boring.
 
Pete

2 comments:

Tom said...

HEY!
Didn't I leave a comment here a few days ago?

Pete ,are you deleting my comments?

Tommy

Your Name Here said...

Comments? What comments? I didn't see any comments.

Uhhhmm Actually you did. They were on a different post though.

I don't have to delete comments now that I've got the spag guard thing working.

Thursday's ride with the fastish group was pretty damn fun. I still sucked at it though. Hahaha

Have a good weekend.

Pete