Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Next Year's mountain biking trip....

Okay.  Einstein is already working on next year's trip... 
 
The San Juan Hut System supports a 210 mile trip in the back country between Durango and Moab.  It is a 6-day tour on mountain bikes.  The huts are fully stocked with food, sleeping bags and everything you need.  When we get to Moab, we take the knobbies off, put slicks on and ride the 160 miles back to Durango by road.  Split the trip back into 3 days and stop at Mesa Verde national park for a bit of site seeing. 
 
Who's in???? ;)
 
 
Pete

2 comments:

Your Name Here said...

Hey Bob.

Unless you're going to use a Bob trailer (no relation) you'll be better off with a hardtail. Even though the huts are stocked with a lot of stuff you'll need you'll find that you do need to carry some gear with you. That is especially true if we're going to ride back to complete the loop. We'll plan it so we stay in hotels the two nights on the road. It would still be good to have a little gear along with us.

I was really drawn to the Durango loop because I like the idea of doing the road ride after doing the mountain bike ride.

My guess is that I'll use a hardtail bike and a suspended Bob trailer to haul the gear. It wouldn't have a lot of stuff in it. I would rather not ride with Paniers on the Niner. That's just me. :D

One of my main reasons for wanting to do the road riding is that we get to do almost half of the ride on route 666 heading south. How can you go wrong with that?

On a related note: The state of Colorado has become the hotbed of the new christian conservatives. There has been a concerted effort on their part to change the name of route 666 to something more heavenly. My suggestion of route 69 fell on deaf ears. In the end I believe they got the state legislature to allow the highway to change numbers to 999. Instead of making up new signs, the plan is to turn the existing ones upside down.

Those crazy christians.

Have a nice day, dammit!

Pete

gwadzilla said...

sounds cool....
but
I do not see any trips like that happening for me until the kids hit cruise control...
when is that?
oh when they are 25 or 30
guess I have a few years to wait
as I am still wrestling a toddler and a pre-ker