Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I'm boring....

Greetings folks.
 
It has been a rough few weeks.  This time of year is always hard for me.  The rain tends to suck it out of me.  I'm psyched to be on the trails, but it just doesn't work out that way all the time.  I even resorted to putting together a road bike (EEEEEEEEEEEK).  I even rode it once or twice.  It is just hard to kick the depression. 
 
Here's what really threw me this week.  There's been a lot of activity at Fountainhead Park as spring approaches.  The trails are often open and we've ridden them many times.  Fountainhead night rides are starting tonight.  That opened the possibility of riding trails that are not normally open to bikes.  That means that the White trail is open to us when conditions permit. 
 
What that doesn't mean is that we get to ride the Blue trail.  That is the one I really miss.  It has been almost 15 years since I rode that trail.  Talk about a great ride!  It has a little of everything.  Most of all, it is just some great singletrack that flows.  
 
Why did this trail throw me for a loop?  Laura, John and I went hiking on the blue trail on Sunday.  We hiked about 3 miles of the trail then turned back.  Walking all the trails that we used to ride so often really hit home.  I found myself picking lines and looking at how the trails had changed over the years.  You heard a lot of this in my last post.  I don't mean to harp on it.  It just depressed me that the trail isn't open to us.
 
My rational mind (what little there is left of it) knows that the trail would take a lot of work to make it ridable and sustainable.  Many of the climbs are straight up the fall line ridge and haven't weathered well.  They would need to be moved to the side of the ridge and bench cut.  I wish MORE could undertake that even if we couldn't ride the trails.  I doubt that would happen though. 
 
Enough wollowing.  We're headed to Fruita in 21 days.  That makes me plenty happy.
 
thanks for reading.  GET OUT AND RIDE!!!!
 
Hugs and Kisses
 
Pete
 

No comments: