Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Oh my aching back...

I should have known better. My back issues are such that I have to be careful when I'm doing a lot of stuff like trail work. I didn't overdo it on Saturday, but I was a pretty wiped out when I got home. I'm impressed with the guys and girls that pulled a double shift on Saturday. You're amazing.

I think we had over 40 people show fur the Wakefield trail work day on Saturday. IMBA is helping MORE do a complete re-design of the race course section of Wakefield. The trails are going to be SWEEEEEEET. In the next few weeks, we're going to be doing a lot of trail work to get things really set at WAkefield.

The old trails were impossible to maintain. No matter how much work we did on them, they always eroded and made a big mess. Winter time was always tough because we had to spend a lot of time off the bikes because it was too muddy to ride.

There's a whole long story about how this whole plan came around. I don't need to write it up again here. You can read it on the MORE web site.

Here are a few photos from our work day.


This section is going to be SWEEET. The trail to the left is going to be the mellow trail down. The trail to the right is the rooted drop-in. It may be a tough line-up too. I look forward to bailing on it often.


Dan was telling me how he is totally sick of the old photos of Roel doing trail work showing up on the MORE web site. He was pissed off that even after Roel moved to Pennsylvania, he is still getting all the press for doing trail work in our area. This photo is his effort to up-stage Roel. I think he's got a winner here. ;)


What the heck do you do with trails that are too muddy to maintain? Armor them!!! They dug way down and put a bed of big rocks and then are setting them in so they'll stay firm. It should work well. You can see how muddy things got this weekend.

Hopefully we'll get some riding in next weekend. We might head to Great Falls after the trail work day. It won't be that interesting, but it will be a workout.

Pete

2 comments:

joe said...

if you want, upload a couple of your trailwork pics into the "site images" section of the gallery... that way i can use them when posting news on the website. try to keep with width under 300 pixels (the width of the news box on the front page)

if you can't see the site images section let me know and i'll turn it on for your username

Your Name Here said...

Thanks Joe. I'll try and do that tonight. I'm going to be out at Wakefield again clearing snow tonight. I'll get that done. :)

Take care,

Pete