Monday, March 14, 2005

Party time!!!

Oy oy.

Laura and I are a little weird. When we're busy, the housework tends to get postponed... then postponed again because we don't really want to face it. I'm worse about it than Laura. My tollerance for slovenly living is pretty high. Since we had folks coming over Sunday, it all had to end. I'm going to spend the next 9 paragraphs detailing every detailed aspect of our house cleaning. NOT! We did it, its done, place looks great. That isn't so weird, you say.

Our weirdness is in that we tend to then over-entertain while the house is clean. "As long as the house is clean, lets have friends over!!!" So in addition to having a bunch of MTB degenerates over on Sunday, we're scheduled for a few other groups of people to come over before we slop the place up again.

The ride and dinner on Sunday was fun. I was bummed that Fountainhead turned out to be open after all. I called Friday afternoon and it was still closed. It was past the time when I could easily change the venue for the ride. I'd tried to change it and got my chops busted by a few people.

Great Falls and Riverbend were beautiful. The scenery was great and the singletrack in Riverbend was PERFECT! It was wonderfully buff and smooth, but with some serious climbing that needed to be negotiated. It isn't like Schaeffer where you have little rollers here and there. Pretty much all the climbs are a little steeper and longer. When you add in that there are a fair number of different trails upon which you can ride, there are plenty of options for doing loops.

This ride was split into two halves. The Great Falls end of the ride was pretty relaxed and mellow. Everyone went at their own pace and we all just regrouped in places. The doubletrack there is almost impossible to get lost on, so I just had fun moving up and down the pack riding with everyone in the group.

When we hit Riverbend, stuff changed a little. I really needed to lead from the front since there is a pretty good maze of trails to choose from. This is where the fun began. This is what I call a "Say When" ride. At the top of each of the longer climbs, I'd say "There's an easy out to the car if you want to head back, just say when you've had enough." A few people bit at that one after the first full loop through. One had to take the kids to the movies, the other had been sick for ages, so he needed a break.

I kept stomping up the hills with Jason on my wheel and people kept saying they were up for more. Everyone was feeling pretty good. Happy J. started the day in a bad way, but really worked into it nicely. I think he had fun and felt pretty good by the end. I need to go out and do a ride with just him one of these days. I miss hanging with him more. With group rides, it is hard to chat when I'm leading. We'll get the tandem out. That always seems to work well.

I knew exactly when everyone had enough when people looked at the climb up from the Riverbend parking lot. There were some unhappy noises. In true form, Jason took off in the lead. I hunted him down as best as I could. We finally stopped at the top of the second pitch. Everyone really rode that climb well. I knew they were tired, but they were serious troopers. There were easier ways that we could have gone, but I think it is good to finish a ride with something that challenges you. This section did. The third pitch went up the winding singletrack that is so fun on the way down. It was a good chance to enjoy it on the way up. The SS just ate it up.

The fireroad descent was a perfect end for the riding. It gave me time to go home and help Laura finish up getting ready for guests. It gave everyone else a chance to go home and shower.

Dinner was a lot of fun. Laura really enjoyed meeting everyone. I enjoyed meeting wives and girlfriends of people that I've been riding with for a while.

I woke up this morning and my legs felt great. I should have stomped a few more climbes. There's always next weekend. I'm contemplating doubling up with a ride at Gambrill with Dave and Jason followed by a spin at Schaeffer/Hoyles mill before the winter party. If conditions allow, I'm going to do it. The problem is that we'll have to ride hard at Gambrill in case Schaeffer and Hoyles mill are closed. If they're open, then we'll definitely be feeling it.

Thanks to all that made it for the ride and dinner last night. IT was fun hanging with you.

Here's today's animation:




Pete

No comments: