Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!! (The jackpot for the infantile burp/fart humor set at least)

I'm easily entertained.  Anyone that knows me knows that is true.  I've had my own personal lottery going for years.  Unfortunately you don't win any prizes for hitting this lottery.  I just get a sense of personal pride and satisfaction from hitting it big.  
 
This is where most of you are saying, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???"  
 
My lottery tickets consist of any receipt or ticket that you get that has a number on it.  There's only one winning number.  That number is "69".  The rules are simple.  If I ever get any kind of ticket or receipt that has as its order number "69", I'm a winner!  If I get number 68, I can't order something else immediately after in order to get #69.  The number has to be arrived at by fair and legitimate means.   
 
This has been going on for YEARS!  In all my 42 years, I've successfully hit the jackpot three times.  The first was at the Heidelburg Bakery in Arlington, VA back in 1998.  They have a "Please take a number" machine and a counter on the wall.  When they're done serving #68, the lady behind the counter calls out "Number 69!  Can I help number 69 please?"  That is music to my Jr. High School brain.  I even wait as long as I possibly can before she goes on to #70 just to hear her call it out agian. 
 
The second time I hit the jackpot was November 14, 2002 at 8:12am.  I know this because it is printed on the receipt.  I got a flavored and plain crioissant and a large Cafe au lait from Gelatissimo, the local Italian bakery and ice cream place near the office.  I go there a lot for breakfast. 
 
When number 69 comes up is completely dependant on how many customers have been through the place in the morning.  I try and schedule my visits there to get as close to 69 as possible.  You'd think that I'd be there around 8:12am every day, but it doesn't work like that.  During tourist season, 69 can come up much earlier.  When congress is in session, it can be much earlier.  There are times in the slow season when it can happen as late as 10 or 10:30.  That is a rarity. 
 
A year ago, Gelatissimo opened an Italian deli next door to their pastry/ice cream shop.  That is my new favorite breakfast place. Their bagels are great and cheap.  That is where I hit the jackpot this morning at 8:41am.  I got a whole wheat bagel with raisin cream chease on it.  That is what I almost always order, but today it tasted so much better.  It tasted better because not only did I get to hear the cute Latina woman behind the counter call out "NUMBER 69!  Who's got number 69?" (I hesitated to raise my hand so I'd hear her say it again), I got to walk back to the office with a bit of spring in my step that comes from knowing that I am truly number 69 and I've got the receipt to prove it. 
 
My three winning jackpot tickets are now proudly displayed in my cube at work.  A few people notice them and ask what I'm doing with two breakfast receipts and a "take a number" ticket.  I weave the tale as though these were my most treasured possessions.  Is it any wonder why I'm not in management? ;)
 
Love,
 
Pete
 
 
 

 

 

No comments: