Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Things that I've learned about commuting to work by bicycle.

1)  I like it.  I like it a lot.  I can't believe I've gone this long without riding my bike to work.  I'm an idiot.
 
2)  My Road Bike "instincts" have come back very quickly.  I'm still working on the "eyes in the back of the head" thang, but stuff like where exactly the water bottle is the whole dynamics of riding a road bike in and around traffic are back in full strength.  I guess it's kind of like riding a bike. 
 
3)  My lights are dead.  My night rider system has finally gone around the bend.  Both the headlight and bar light have bad electrical connections in them and they shut off at the worst moments.  It could be that both batteries are dead.  I honestly don't know.  I'll do something about it before big bear.
 
4)  People who commute by bicycle are chatty.  There are people who will chew my ear off on the ride in.  That's fine with me.  I'm not awake enough to really contribute much.  On the way home I'm usually trying to work harder so I'm out of breath more and not chatty. 
 
5)  People who commute by bicycle are not chatty.  Many folks like me just want to ride and don't need any company for that to take place.
 
6)  My big pink Tesch is like an old friend.  Getting back on that bike reminds me why I got it in the first place and why I hope that bike lasts me a life time.  I've ridden MANY road bikes over the years.  I've owned some made by the most impressive and well-respected builders in the world -- Serotta, Masi, Colnago, Merlin, Paramount, etc -- and none of them fit me or my riding like this old pink hunk of steel.  It was built in an age when tig welded steel was frowned upon in road circles.  It was one of the first serious tig welded frames available.  I'm amazed every time I get on it. 
 
7)  A big pink bike is an invitation to talk.  This is closely related to #4.  Few people can resist commenting on how big and pink that thing between my legs is.  I think they've got big-pink-thing-between-the-legs envy.
 
8)  Don't draft off of anyone named Harry Cracker.  My buddy Pat wins the good friend of the year award.  Yesterday I got a tear in the back of an old pair of shorts right above my ass.  I knew it was there, but didn't have time to change shorts between getting home from my road ride and hitting the trails on the single speed.  I hoped in vain that my jersey would be long enough to cover it.  It wasn't.  Pat had a little portal just big enough to see my hairy backside.  He made a few jokes and then concentrated on riding.  Good man, Pat.   You're a trooper. 
 
9)  "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."  One of the big wigs at work walked in from the parking garage with me this morning.  He had a big meeting today and was decked out in his power suit with his power tie and a perfectly laundered shirt.  I was decked out in my Bike Doctor team kit, still wearing my helmet and a pair of flip flops while carrying my cycling shoes, messanger bag and my water bottle (with cartoons of bunnies humping on it).  Oddly enough he was impressed and asked me about what the commute was like, why I'm riding instead of driving and how it was working out for me.  Cool guy.  He's stopped by and talked twice today.  Glad I wasn't wearing the shorts referenced in #8. 
 
10)  I need new road pedals.  My 16 year old Time Magnesium comp pedals with matching Time Equipe shoes are getting really tired.  I don't think the cleats are available anymore for these things.  That means new shoes too since these are the 2nd generation Time shoes that are neither look nor shitmano compatable.  Any suggestions?  Right now I'm leaning towards Speedplays with Pearl Izumi shoes.  The Pearl's are my mountain shoe of choice.  I can't imagine their road shoes are horrible in any way.  What else is out there?  Time?  Look?  Shitmano?  Bebop?
 
11)  Did I mention that I like commuting by bicycle?
 
12)  I need new shorts.  I know that because my ass is chapped and the old ones are falling apart.  (see #8)  Time to go shopping.  Any suggestions?  Pearl Izumi are my favorites for price/quality.  Is it worth investing in Assos, Castelli or Campy shorts?  Quality is important to me.  If I get really good shorts, I'll get only 2 pairs and rotate them out.  If I get cheaper ones, I'll have to get 4 or 6 pairs in order to last like the good ones. 
 
13)  I get free cell phone service!!!!  Not really.  I did some calculations last night and found that by riding to work, I'll be saving between $85 and 90 per month.  That is about what the cell phone bill is. 
 
I'm sure that I'll be adding to this list over the next month or two. 
 
Love,
 
Pete
 

1 comment:

Drew said...

I love to bike commute, and I'm counting the days 'til August when the downtown daycare dropoff is over and I can leave the car at home!

BTW, I have a pair of Hind shorts that I like a lot. I like my Canaris (sp?) as well - two worth checking out, IMO.