Thursday, February 17, 2005

DEAR GOD, PLEASE SAY NO!!!!

I need to find a song about getting a new bicycle. As it is, when I get a new bike, I turn on some rock and roll or blues and play in the shop till the project is done. This bike will be raised to the sounds of Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.



When I say new, I really mean "New to me". As you may have read before, I picked this frame up from Josh after he and his girlfriend found the needed more room in their apartment. It had something to do with 11 bikes between two people. I can't quite understand that reasoning (as I've probably got more than 11 bikes myself), but I'll enjoy the frame I got in this deal. :)

The paint needed work. I took care of that pretty quickly. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I needed the bike to be built up and running soon. I took off the stuff that had been covering the chips and scratches and used some good, old rustolium on it. I'll do a more serious paint job down the road. Now that I have a compressor, I can do a lot of that stuff at home.

Forks should be here today or tomorrow. Gary gave me his old headset which will tide me over till I can afford a CK. Everything else will come off the Jinglespeed.

Which brings up a topic of discussion that will be interesting to pretty much everyone I ride with. The question is, Will the jingle bells be transferred to the new frame??? I know you can't wait for this answer. I can even hear what you're thinking.... "Please say no, DEAR GOD PLEASE SAY NO!"

I'll get to that in a minute. This frame is made by a company called Voodoo. It has a lot of karma itself. It is, in a way, its own mojo and in theory, should require no additional charms to bring its rider good luck. But I'm a guy that believes in superstition when I ride. I've had good mojos and bad mojos. I've had great mojos that have searved me well and been put out to pasture. Spoon guy, Catdog (May he rest in peace) and Sumo guy have all been great to me, but they served their purpose and have moved on to different (though not always better) uses. I'm tending to think that the jingle bells still have some utility left in them. I guess I just answered my own question there. The bells are staying. Sorry folks.

One of the cool things about the bells is how non-riders tend to react to them. At EF last weekend, I had so many people smile land laugh as we passed by hikers. Though I'm sure the hunters would like to shoot me, I was pleased with the good cheer that the jingle jingle jingle brought to those who hear it for 10 seconds as I pass. It is often a good thing since my lungs are so blown out that I can't manage to say "hi".

My most sincere apologies to those who I ride with. Jason keeps saying he's going to find something more annoying to use as a mojo. That will sure make us a fun team to ride with. LOL

Have a great day folks. Sorry I haven't been more offensive or disgusting. I'll work harder on that.

Pete

PS. For more photos and the evolution of my single speed, please check out this link.

2 comments:

Crashmore said...

F*#$@ Those Jingle Bells!

Your Name Here said...

Bob, You're definitely a psycho. I won't make more comparisons than that. ;) I do agree with you. The bells stay. I'm all for screwing 'em too.

Jason: Can't you say "fuck" on my blog? I sure hope so. I was just about to start posting erotic fiction on this site. ;)

Have a fucking nice day.

Pete