Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Whose bright idea was this?????

Okay, I've been running for a few months now. I don't run every day, but on days when I doubt that I'll get a ride in, I usually haul my ass out and run for a while. Back in the early 1890s, I used to run track, cross country and marathons. I did one 50k trail run in Leadville Colorado. That was plenty for me. I don't ever want to go back to running like that again. I just do it now so that I can maintain some fitness through the winter on days when it is too muddy to ride. It helped a lot last year.

Someone smart suggested that I switch my runs from early morning to lunch time. I'm having symptoms of not getting enough sleep these days. By not running in the morning, I get to sleep in a little more. While the cats don't like it that much, I thought it was working well so far. That was until lunch time today. Oh! by the way, this is my first day of running at lunch.

So what's my beef with running at lunch? There are tons of people to run with and they're all dang fast. Its the same thing with cycling... if you ride with someone fast, you work to try to keep up. When I'm on my own, I run at a reasonable, but maintainable pace. My goal isn't to break any PRs or anything. I just want to get out and show some signs of life.

That just doesn't happen on the national mall. Even the big guys in the grey sweatsuits are fast. I just blended in and ran for my normal 45 minutes. I didn't realize till I was cooling down on my way back to the office that my legs were SCREAMING! What the heck did I do? Idiot me realized at that point that in the 45 minutes, I'd done almost 1.5 miles further than I normally do in that period of time. I guess its good for me. I'll just have to learn to live with it.

What's in the IPOD today? Old Aerosmith, Dog's Eye View and Lyle "No finance. No Romance" Lovett.

Have a nice day. I sure did so far.

Pete

PS: Can someone bring me a wheelchair?

No comments: